Florence to New York with Hand Luggage Only!
Hello to all my favourite mommy jetsetters,
Lots of overseas trips to promote my new business means packing smart is a bit of a hobby of mine at the moment, so here are some of my tips for traveling light and in style.
- Go crazy with apps: download city guides, maps, music, movies, currency convertors, camera apps (no chunky cameras pls) and anything else you might need without GPS to get you through a long flight and to the hotel’s door!
- Since you are taking advantage of lightweight electronics but make sure to keep your chargers in your handbag. (Expert tip!)
- A safe place for your passport (with photocopies stored on your laptop and emailed to yourself), money, debit and credit cards and spare passport photos is a must. Money belts aren’t always the best looking items but a well organised handbag is!
- Remember footwear is non-negotiable but toiletries are … small containers and samples are all you need to make it from A to B.
- Thank god for layering! It’s in fashion and great for travel – you can buy fabulous marino wool scarves that double as blankets and pillows on long flights; plus light-weight, wrinkle-free separates that look good and can be washed in a hotel bathroom (sometimes this happens to the best of us) make dressing for travel easy.
- Copy the backpackers. Have you ever seen the line for a RyanAir discount flight? There are lots of young 20-somethings putting on giant coats and heavy boots to cut down on the weight of their other luggage. Do that. That’s a good idea!
My final tip … don’t stress and have fun. Traveling is a luxury and any chance to see the world we live in is a good one.
P.S. I hope you have your pen in hand and are jotting down your own tips to help me make it through my next overseas trip. I see this list as the beginning of what will be my ideal travel guide.